Mar 22, 2010

Brag a Little

I just wanted to share this picture...and say what beautiful vegetable stock I made this weekend.



The lighting was a bit strange because I finished it later at night. But even so, isn't that a great color?

Vegetable stock isn't really some great art, and it's probably not even worth posting about. But I like making stock. This is what I do:

Roughly chop "some" large carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and put in a large stock pot. Add to that a tablespoon of salt, a palm-full of whole black peppercorns, and 2 bay leaves. Cover all the vegetables with water (8-10 cups) and cover the pot. Put on high and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and keep on a steady simmer for 2-3 hours. Allow to cool, then strain and refrigerate the beautiful stock. For a richer color, add the skins of the onions.

I'm anticipating the last chicken noodle soup of the season with this stuff. Or maybe make a gravy with it for a homemade pot pie. What do you like to do with stock?

No comments:

Post a Comment